Associate Professor, Department of Earth Sciences,
National Central University
研究方向 Research interests
My research is motived by a desire to understand fault behaviors of a fault during the seismic cycle, to obtain earthquake physics for a seismically active fault, and to expand understanding of fault deformation together with significant applications to other natural faults. Therefore, I mainly focus on the research of fault zone geology, including the (micro-)structures, the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of active faults. By means of the integration of the data of (1) natural observation of active fault zones, (2) microstructural/geochemical investigation of fault rocks, and (3) experiments conducted under expected deformation condition, the field- and laboratory-based complementary data set shall uncover the secrets hidden on seismic faults.
Current research programs include:
- Inferring deformation mechanics of the active Chelungpu fault corresponding to 1999 Mw7.6 Chi-Chi earthquake using the fault rock of the Taiwan Chelungpu fault Drilling Project.
- Inferring deformation mechanics of the active Longmenshan Fault belt corresponding to 2008 Mw7.9 Wenchuan earthquake using the noncohesivefault rock of the Wenchuan earthquake Fault Scientific Drilling project.
- Recognition of a fossil of small earthquakes: fault mirrors in the Taiwan fold-and-thrust belt.
- Pseudotachylyte in Tananao metamorphic complex, Taiwan.
最新成果 Recent Publications
- Wu, W. J., L. W. Kuo*, C. S. Ku, C. Y. Chiang, H. S. Sheu, T. D. Aprilniadi and Jia‐Jyun Dong, 2020. Mixed‐Mode Formation of Amorphous Materials in the Creeping Zone of the Chihshang Fault, Taiwan, and Implications for Deformation Style. JGR Solid Earth, doi: 10.1029/2020JB019862
- Hung, C. C., L.‐W. Kuo*, E. Spagnuolo, C. C. Wang, G. Di Toro, W. J. Wu, J. J. Dong, W. Lin, H. S. Sheu, E. C. Yeh and P. S. Hsieh, 2019. Grain fragmentation and frictional melting during initial experimental deformation and implications for seismic slip at shallow depths. JGR Solid Earth, doi: 10.1029/2019JB017905.
- Kuo, L. W.*, J. R. Huang, J. N. Fang, J. Si, H. Li and S. R. Song, 2018. Carbonaceous materials in the fault zone of the Longmenshan Fault belt: 1. Signatures within deep Wenchuan earthquake fault zone and its implication. Minerals, 8(385), doi: 10.3390/min8090385.
- Kuo, L. W.*, J. R. Huang, J. N. Fang, J. Si, S. R. Song, H. Li and E. C. Yeh, 2018. Carbonaceous Materials in the Fault Zone of the Longmenshan Fault Belt: 2. Characterization of Fault Gouge from Deep Drilling and Implications for Fault Maturity. Minerals, 8(393), doi: 10.3390/min8090393.
- Kuo, L. W.*, F. Di Felice, E. Spagnuolo, G. Di Toro, S. R. Song, S. Aretusini, H. Li, J. Suppe, J. Si and C. Y. Wen, 2017. Fault gouge graphitization as evidence of past seismic slip. Geology 45, p.979-982, doi: 10.1130/G39295.1.