Associate Professor, Department of Earth Sciences,
National Central University
研究方向 Research interests
My research is motived by a desire to understand fault behaviors of a fault during the seismic cycle, to obtain earthquake physics for a seismically active fault, and to expand understanding of fault deformation together with significant applications to other natural faults. Therefore, I mainly focus on the research of fault zone geology, including the (micro-)structures, the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of active faults. By means of the integration of the data of (1) natural observation of active fault zones, (2) microstructural/geochemical investigation of fault rocks, and (3) experiments conducted under expected deformation condition, the field- and laboratory-based complementary data set shall uncover the secrets hidden on seismic faults.
Current research programs include:
- Inferring deformation mechanics of the active Chelungpu fault corresponding to 1999 Mw7.6 Chi-Chi earthquake using the fault rock of the Taiwan Chelungpu fault Drilling Project.
- Inferring deformation mechanics of the active Longmenshan Fault belt corresponding to 2008 Mw7.9 Wenchuan earthquake using the noncohesivefault rock of the Wenchuan earthquake Fault Scientific Drilling project.
- Recognition of a fossil of small earthquakes: fault mirrors in the Taiwan fold-and-thrust belt.
- Pseudotachylyte in Tananao metamorphic complex, Taiwan.
最新成果 Recent Publications
- Kuo, L. W.*, F. Di Felice, E. Spagnuolo, G. Di Toro, S. R. Song, S. Aretusini, H. Li, J. Suppe, J. Si and C. Y. Wen, 2017. Fault gouge graphitization as evidence of past seismic slip. Geology 45, p.979-982, doi: 10.1130/G39295.1.
- Kuo, L. W.*, R. Song, J. Suppe and E. C. Yeh, 2016. Fault mirrors in seismically active fault zones: A fossil of small earthquakes at shallow depths. Geophysical Research Letters 43, p. 1950-1959.
- Kuo, L. W.*, F. Song, C. M. Yang, S. R. Song, C. C. Wang, J. J. Dong, J. Suppe and T. Shimamoto, 2015. Ultrafine spherical quartz formation during seismic fault slip: Natural and experimental evidence and its implications. Tectonophysics 664, p. 98-108.
- Kuo, L. W.*, C. Hsiao, S. R. Song, H. S. Sheu and J. Suppe, 2014. Coseismic thickness of principal slip zone from the Taiwan Chelungpu fault Drilling Project-A (TCDP-A) and correlated fracture energy. Tectonophysics 619-620, p. 29-35.
- Kuo, L. W.*, Li, S. Smith, G. Di Toro, J. Suppe, S. R. Song, S. Nielsen, H. S. Sheu and J. Si., 2014. Gouge graphitization and dynamic fault weakening during the 2008 Mw 7.9 Wenchuan earthquake. Geology 42, p.47-50, doi: 10.1130/G34862.1